International students studying in Estonia are not covered by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund (Haigekassa) unless they are employed in Estonia or have the right of permanent residence or a long-term residence permit. Thus, if you are planning on studying in Estonia with a short-term residence permit then you need to ensure that you have some other health insurance for your period of study in Estonia.

For EU citizens: If you are an EU citizen and have valid health insurance in your home country during your studies in Estonia, then you should apply for the EU health insurance card (EHIC) or a substitute certificate of an EU health insurance card (form E128). You should apply for that from the social service authorities in your home country before arriving in Estonia. Necessary health care is not always free of charge – the patient’s co-payment should be paid according to Estonian tariffs. Therefore, it is recommended to also buy travel insurance from a private insurance company.

For non-EU citizens: There are strict requirements in Estonia for health insurance cover when applying for a residence permit and having the required health insurance cover is necessary for applying for a temporary residence permit for studying. Non-EU students should follow the requirements of the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board and obtain a medical insurance in Estonia for the same period as the temporary residence permit is valid. Arrange your insurance contact within two months of your arrival to Estonia. Please present the contract to the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board. If you do not provide proof of proper insurance to the Police and Border Guard Board your temporary residence permit may be cancelled.

All insured people have a family practitioner who is the first contact point in case of illness. For more information on family practitioners and how to find one, see the website of Estonian Health Insurance Fund. In case of needing support for finding a family practitioner or with relevant medical concerns, please contact with your university`s international students service.

 You can call an ambulance on (+372) 112 all over Estonia.

Accident wards and emergency medical service units are open 24/7 and you may seek help there especially at weekends and at night time when family practitioners are off duty.

Read more at: Healthcare in Estonia