The rights of students are set out in section 42 of the Universities Act and with the Institutions of Professional Higher Education Act as well as in the organisation of studies of a specific institution of higher education.
Rights and obligations of students
Students have the right to:
– choose subjects for their curricula outside their field of study pursuant to the procedure established by the council of the university, regardless of their speciality;
– attend lectures, practical training classes and seminars and take examinations and assessments outside their curricula whereas members of the teaching staff may restrict the participation of students from outside their curricula if the study conditions (workplaces, teaching aids, etc.) do not allow for it;
– use lecture halls, laboratories, computer rooms, libraries, equipment and other assets free of charge pursuant to the procedure established in the university;
– continue their studies pursuant to another curriculum or at another university should the university or any of its curricula be closed;
– elect their representatives and be elected to the collegial decision-making bodies of the university;
– submit a reasoned request to the Rector for the removal of a member of the teaching staff from teaching activities;
– obtain a study allowance and a study loan under the conditions and pursuant to the procedure provided for in the Study Allowances and Study Loans Act;
– take academic leave, generally of up to one year, once at each academic level pursuant to the procedure established by the council of the university, and additional academic leave of up to two years for health reasons, of up to one year in the case of undergoing military service, and to care for a child until the child attains three years of age;
– obtain the study programmes, study modules and other information necessary for their studies;
– request the opportunity to take an examination or assessment before a board;
– obtain a student identification card pursuant to the procedure established by the Ministry of Education and Research;
– student self-government under the conditions and pursuant to the procedure provided for in § 43;
– exercise other rights provided for students by law, the statutes and internal procedure rules of the university and other legislation.
(2) Students shall fulfill the obligations provided for students by this Act, the statutes and internal procedure rules of the university and other legislation and be liable for any violation thereof.